Monday, June 20, 2005

Ma'am Renee's Monday

It happened again, it happens every week... another Monday. Yeap!

I admit it I was dreading it on Sunday but somehow a turn of events has made today great. In the beginning there was Monday and God said it was good... and well it was. Whatever happen as time passed I can't tell you.

Okay, to the point, I just wanted to share with you what happened to me today. It wasn't anything magnificent and yet I learned a lot at the same time. I woke up late -7:30am... I was supposed to be at my staff worship at Ekamai International School's auditorium, "Rachel! Rachel! It's seven-thirty!" I said to wake her up as I had just woken up a couple of seconds earlier. We somehow manage to continue to wake up later and later... not the best time management I admit :0). Then I panicked because I had burrowed someone's guitar but hadn't returned it so I had to go grab it at one of my friend's home and bring it to the auditorium - talk about working up a sweat. So the morning was stressful and in my attempt to prepare for class I did that thing I do in college - doze off while I am reading a textbook (no worries I didn't drool this time!).

Before class began I in my stress found myself on my knees in the classroom asking God to teach both my boys and I something new today. Reflecting on what he did it seems God listened to me - he always does but sometimes his response is more evident to me that at other times.

Right now I begin the afternoon by having the boys journal - I ask them a question and they respond for ~10-20 minutes. The first time I did this they only wrote about 1-2 sentences I was shocked and somewhat disappointed but I know realize that English is their second language, they aren't fluent in it and so don't think English but Thai. I wanted to assume that maybe Thai's didn't like to write... now I don't know. After worship, we have this with Ma'am Lauryn's class, we had a vocabulary quiz. Poor kids they were certainly stressing out... but it is only a quiz. Okay... it was sort of difficult but I use the excuse that I am new at this 'teaching thing'. I then had them do group reading and response, a grammar exercise, and silent reading.

A new thing we did today was use the computer lab for grammar too. I am still a little lost here in both Ekamai and Bangkok, so it was amusing to me to find that I had no idea when I took the stairs and my class and Ma'am Lauryn's class all piled into the elevator where was I going? Who knows.

I was going to take a nap after class but decided to wander around and grade papers outside of the school grounds. I am still not use to the sun going down so soon but I have to remember I am on the equator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home